In July, the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work announced the first pan-European campaign to combat work-related stress. Some studies have linked work-related stress to increased numbers of musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) as well as decreased productivity and quality.
Some facts about work related stress in the European Union:
- 28% of employees in the EU report they are affected by work-related stress;
- Women appear to suffer slightly more than men;
- Common causes include lack of job security and control and work overload;
- Over 50% of absenteeism has its roots in work-related stress;
- The problem is thought to cost the EU at least