BCPE Seeks an Executive Director
Executive Director, Part-Time
Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics (BCPE).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan.
- Act as advisor to the Board of Directors on issues and activities—both internal and external—that may affect the BCPE.
- In addition to the President of the Board, act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
- Represent the organization at professional activities such as conferences to enhance the organization's profile in the areas of human factors, ergonomics, usability, and user experience.
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards BCPE’s strategic direction.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan to promote the benefits of membership to BCPE with goal of increasing both the number of new members and the satisfaction of current members.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization including management of the support staff.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization's programs and services, in particular, reviewing applications, administering of the certification exam, and implementing the continuance of certification (CoC) program.
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes clear job descriptions; mentoring and monitoring the staff’s performance on an on-going basis; and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials for both two face-to-face meetings annually as well as monthly conference calls.
- Maintain a records management and retention plan, including database of certificant holders and ensuring that personnel, certificant, donor, and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy and confidentiality are maintained.
- Communicate with current and potential certificant holders to keep them informed.
- Manage the production and content of BCPE’s website, press releases, emails, newsletters, and other communications; ensure that BCPE’s website is easy to use.
- In collaboration with BCPE professional staff, respond to daily inquiries.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with the Human Factors & Ergonomics Society, other related professional certifying organizations, universities, and other organizations to help achieve BCPE’s goals.
- Work with staff and the Board to prepare and track a comprehensive budget and to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed; file tax returns.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage.
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures.
- Provide office space, furniture, files, office equipment, utilities, postage, high speed internet, and other space, equipment, or services necessary as mutually agreed upon.
The Executive Director should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with BCPE’s values.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve BCPE’s goals.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations with BCPE.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move BCPE forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of BCPE.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations.
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to BCPE’s mission.
- Knowledge of financial and project management.
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Office Suite (Word processing, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Financial management
- Internet including managing website administration
- Using databases
- University degree (minimum Bachelors) in human factors, ergonomics, or related field. Advanced degree (Masters or Doctorate) is preferred.
- Certified Professional Ergonomist (CPE, CHFP, or CUXP) is preferred.
- Membership in Human Factors & Ergonomics Society (HFES) is preferred.
- 2 or more years of day-to-day management experience.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.